Sometimes asking for the impossible is the only realistic path.

DennisLoo.com Banner

“I’ll Do the Right Thing If You Others Do It First”

“I’ll Do the Right Thing If You Others Do It First”

By Dennis Loo (6/2/14)

My title paraphrases common complaints by those who say that the problem is other people. The problem, you see, isn’t those who articulate those sentiments. No, the problem is all those other people.

Now if we could just get those scared or ignorant ones to do the right thing without having the more aware and braver ones first take the lead, everything will be right with the world!

Awareness, you see, doesn’t bring any greater responsibilities to those who are aware. It just gives them more of a right to complain about the fact that the unaware are unaware.

The solution to the world’s problems is for the mainstream to lead. What the world needs now is for those who don’t know as much about what’s going on to act on what they don’t know.

There. Problem solved.

Comments

0 # Karen Cornejo 2014-06-03 18:41
In my opinion its not that people are waiting for someone 'more brave' to take action first but more often people who act on what they 'don't know' get shut down by people who know more about certain problems or situations happening around us. That is why the problem begins because if someone knew more about something and did not act on it then why point out someone else's mistake instead of speaking out.

0 # katgrl 2014-06-04 22:26
I agree with this comment. I think people are too worried about looking stupid or being embarrassed by not being knowledgeable on matters that others are. I am currently learning that I need to ask more questions and be more involved, then just stepping back and pointing the finger at those that do not want to do the right thing. I feel that being more aware is crucial in understanding that following what is mainstream is harmful and leads to ignorance. Also sometimes speaking out can sometimes be looked down upon and that scares people. And like always fear is a key element in why people behave and act the way they do.

0 # Lomonaco 2014-06-09 04:38
When are we going to learn to think on our own? Are we still children wanting to be socially accepted? Is it so important to follow the social norm? Are you a leader or a follower? If you are asked what color the sky is and you feel it is blue but the people answering the question before you are saying it is red are you going to follow the lead and say it is red or stand up for what you know and believe to be true? Stand up and believe in your own thoughts.

0 # soad 2014-06-09 05:07
I also agree with this comment. Fear is the reason people don't speak out because they are feared to be judged by other people. Many people have been scolded for voicing their opinions and the truth, and many don't want to follow their path, just to avoid the 'humiliation'. Many people will not voice their opinion until one other person does and kicks it off. It's time for the people who sit back and are fearful, to be the people who speak out first.

0 # Shannon Barkley 2014-06-09 01:59
I totally agree with the fact that people who do not know anything about issues going in do get shut down by the people with more knowledge about the issue. With that people will not feel comfortable getting involved because people do not like to feel lesser than. On the other hand if the people with the knowledge educated the people who wanted to help but had no knowledge, then that would be way more beneficial than people being shut down for what they do or do not know.

0 # cglov3r 2014-06-09 02:45
Yes indeed. Often people do concern themselves with others perceptions of them to the extent that they are afraid to respond or act. I think some do feel more at ease following the mainstream if what the mainstream is doing or saying makes sense to them. These people may feel more comfortable going with the flow than creating their own path. And while it may not be true for everyone, not enough step outside the norms and assert themselves or their beliefs. we might see an entirely different system if people learned to trust themselves and their ideas more.

0 # draen 2014-06-04 00:20
I feel as thought too many people are not willing to "do the right thing first" for fear of being rejected and punished in a way by society. While many people may know what is actually going on, I think what stops them from making a change is being afraid that what they're saying will not be accepted by enough people to back them up, and instead will be shut down. Obviously it isn't an excuse, but I see that as a major influence on why people won't take the lead to make a change.

0 # bobbybmartinez 2014-06-07 02:06
You are right, this is because humans are social being and we fear that we will be outcasted or set apart from the rest of the group if we decide to think, act, speak, or live differently from the social norm. The problem with this, is the simple fact that there is a lot of norms that are not necessarily right in its nature. It is true that there are some people that were taught either by parents or who were born with a different mentality, but those people are very far and in-between.

0 # Sarah Heitz 2014-06-08 21:26
I agree! I believe that many people are afraid to step up first and do the right thing in fear of being scorned by society. We are socially learned to not step out of our boundaries and do things different than others. What is it going to take to break this social constriction and show people that we need to be the ones to take action and make a difference? How else are we going to learn about what we don't know yet?

0 # thatdude 2014-06-10 19:07
I agree completely! speaking out against the majority is one of the most difficult things to do even when it's clearly the right thing to do. People, including myself, fear rejection and isolation and want for people to agree with them and share the same viewpoints, but how boring would life be if everyone had the exact same beliefs. It would be completely one dimensional and bland. Yes, speaking out against the majority and being the first to "do the right thing" is difficult but in the end your voice matters and you should hold yourself to your own beliefs and morals first and foremost before thinking about other's and how they are going to react.

0 # marcos1 2014-06-11 23:50
I think it comes down to people caring enough to pay the ultimate class. People have faced the biggest types of challenges, within their bureaucracies, including death, because they refused to accept to conform to their times. There will be times when people will not be "mainstream" but the truth is the most valuable thing and we must do whatever we can to let it be known.

0 # jnandez 2014-06-04 18:34
I am assuming that you are being sarcastic. We know that in fact with awareness, responsibility DOES follow. The ones who do know the truth are the ones who can truly know how to act and know what is best for the rest. If the scared and ignorant were to take the lead, then the ones who knew the truth would be leaving the weak and unknowledgeable to influence the rest. Not a good idea now is it?

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-06-04 18:40
Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

0 # jnandez 2014-06-04 19:39
Of course you were, and unfortunately many people even with this knowledge will continue to wait for others to act first. I hope that it doesn't take more and worse atrocities to occur for people to open their eyes to the need for change and finally act. I am afraid that that is what it will take for many.

0 # bobbybmartinez 2014-06-07 02:11
This is why we need to educate people and make them more aware. Our society, ESPECIALLY our government relies on the people to be an ignorant group of individuals, in order to pass the type of policies and make us blindly accept it. It is extremely important that those who have the knowledge and have the ability to take the lead, can also, in fact educate the ignorant, and teach them to think for themselves so that the number of educated and knowledgeable individuals will grow.

0 # Aria 2014-06-10 16:48
I agree completely. There are many people out there who are unaware of the issues going on, so they act like they do not exist, because, in their reality, it does not. They need to become educated on the issues that are occurring. There seem to be a lot of people who wait for others to act before they do, when, in reality, we all should take action if we feel it is needed. This way we not only increase the number of educated individuals, but we also increase the number of leaders in our society.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-06-10 16:54
Quoting Aria:
It will continue to be true indefinitely, however, that not everyone will do the right thing and not everyone can realistically be expected to do so. The right thing is always going to be something that only the most aware and most advanced are going to see most clearly and act upon. And their advanced actions and leadership will always be key to mobilizing others. But the effort to get others to become more aware of the truth and to develop the skills by which to do so in an ongoing way IS something that can be and must be done.

0 # giovanna serrano 2014-06-05 02:02
People fear rejection and fear of looking really dumb in front of other people. People tend to double guess themselves and think about things too much. Even when your idea is the best people tend for other people to act upon it in order to reassure ourselves that it is indeed the right thing. Unfortunately, people will wait on other people to act first to then follow, we would rather much follow than lead, because again we are scare to fail and then be judged. Even in classroom settings, people tend to hesitate to ask questions in fear of looking dumb or not knowledgeable enough.

0 # Jessica Ulloa 2014-06-08 17:30
As i can understand what you are saying Giovanna, What is the reasoning as to why these 'people' are afraid of doing anything it seems like. I am unsure in the way you came to this realization.

Personally, I don't care to be wrong, this is how i learn. Yes it does not feel good to not say the right answer or speak up in a classroom and be completely off topic, but i feel this is were I personally learn and if these 'people' speak up then they may understand the same.

0 # Aria 2014-06-10 17:14
I agree with Giovanna that a lot of people are afraid of doing something that will make them look different or dumb in front of others. As social creatures most people tend to want to fit into the social norms, so they do what they can to fit in to society. Personally, I always tend to second guess myself because I wonder what others will think about when they hear my opinions. I used to wait around for others to take the lead so that way I could simply be one of the many, but once I heard about the bystander effect I changed that.

I think it's cool that you don't care if you are wrong because you learn from speaking up. I do the same thing as well - I ask questions even if they do not seem correct in order to get the right answer eventually. I feel like that is a trait that more people need to adopt in order to not fit into the idea of being followers.

0 # Jason Kubanis 2014-06-05 06:25
Since a young age my parents have always told me to lead my own life, they have always stressed to my sister and I to always lead, and not to wait to or to follow others. If those, that most look up to such as celebrities, sports figures must take the lead and change societies minds that it is not what others do.

0 # agris 2014-06-05 23:33
I agree with you. I feel a lot of people are looking to point the finger at "those people" and other groups but never recognizing they too are part of the problem. I feel if you are educated enough to recognize the problem and see it in others then that person is capable to asses themselves and create awareness by leading through example. If one can not live the ideal life and experiences then how can it be expected for others to do so.

0 # Belinda Kil 2014-06-11 21:56
I also agree that if one cannot live the ideal life making the right choices/ words (because they are aware) then no such thing should be expected of others to do so as well. Although, we look up to those like celebrities and athletes we should also look up to more ideal role models, maybe to those whom we are even closer to like our mothers and fathers.

0 # Luvlife1 2014-06-05 23:50
The fact that we are social beings and that most people need other people's approval make a change is in the way of making a difference on to any system. It is absurd for the educated to wait on the people that are not fully aware but that is the way society works and unfortunately many times it takes tragedies for some to stand up.

0 # Michael Oktay 2014-06-06 19:21
This post reminds me alot of what happened in china not too long ago. A young child was hit by a van in an alley way and NOBODY who saw the kid get hit or saw her lying in the street did anything to help until after 18 people passed her by and another van ran her over. Now I wonder why nothing was done.. This goes along well with what jnandez was saying about how even people with knowledge of the right thing will still wait for others to act first. It seems that only the brave, only the ones who aren't worried about standing out are the only ones at the moment who are willing to speak out for the right thing (as seen here in the video below). I believe what you're saying Dr. Loo, it has to become more of a norm, more of the "mainstream" to speak out for the truth, or the right thing before atrocities like this become nonexistent. Otherwise, us humans being social creatures, will hide our true thoughts (or convert them) to maintain that social value they receive from among their peers.

0 # Michael Oktay 2014-06-06 19:22
Here's the vid:

0 # bobbybmartinez 2014-06-07 02:17
This is absolutely absurd. Despite this video, I feel as though it is a natural human instinct to help others. To see this is mind-blowing, especially since even if we are not inclined to help others in need, children are usually priority in our society.

0 # deltoro 2014-06-07 04:40
This video is just awful... i don't just know how can people just walk around this child without helping this kid. we as humans being we need others to survive and humans we tend to help anyone who is hurt or in danger. this people are just to busy to care for a human life? i just sad how people can just walk all over without caring for others.

0 # Princess Peach 2014-06-08 18:43
This video is unbelievable to me. This seems similar to the bystander effect in which no one does anything because they assume somebody else will. People are so reluctant to do something first, even in extreme cases like this one. This reminds me of discussions we have previously had about Kitty Genovese. She was stabbed to death in public and about 12 people witnessed the attack, but no one helped her, and no one even bothered to call the police. They claimed that they did not want to get involved, or they assumed that somebody else would help. When I first heard about this incident, I was shocked. However, incidents like these continue to happen again and again. It is a shame that people are so afraid of being the first to do something that they would ignore emergency situations. They are so afraid of standing out and doing something by themselves that they would let others die.

0 # minnie 2014-06-08 23:16
I have seen this video before and as horrific as this video is, I am not surprised at these results. This most definitely is a perfect example of the bystander effect. One aspect of the bystander effect is that as the more people who act as bystanders, the less likely an individual is to act. China also has had a history of gender inequality in which baby girls were not wanted or appreciated as much as boys were. I wonder if a baby boy had been on the ground if the situation would have turned out differently. I do agree that it is a humans natural instinct to help others, but when it comes to a person acting upon that instinct is a different story.

0 # aplopez 2014-06-09 06:37
When I began to watch this video, I admit it got to me. I asked myself, what kind of world do we live in? Then I thought, a ruthless world. How can people be so cruel and heartless? Its unbelievable! Bystanders are the problem. How can people just walk by the injured little girl. Every single person that walked by her saw her and did nothing. Until one person took the initiative and move her to safety. It is true that only the "brave" people, come forward and do something, while the other follow each other. However, i bet that after many, thousands of people that have watched this video, then probably many will have some knowledge of what they can do. Yes, I agree with the fact that we are human beings and we will hide our deepest thoughts, but letting it out will help many view things in different ways.

0 # Manuel Arias 2014-06-11 19:05
this video is what the world we live in is all about, we ignore things we "don't take part on", and we decide to look away, and that's the major problem, we tend to look away since its not affecting our everyday life. its affecting other peoples life's and we are not doing anything about it to change that, we are all human beings and we all deserve the save freedom, life, equality. another example would be the sweatshops, we know they exist, we know the conditions of the place, but we just decide to look the other way and ignore it.

0 # FAVELA001 2014-06-12 04:01
This video simply expresses a different society, one where dense population plays a pivotal role in determining peoples actions. Race and ethnicity play a key role in determining why these people simply ignored this girl. Perhaps it was just better to weed out the population, or perhaps it was a way of handing this problem off to another bystander simply because that ultimately is what all of human nature has become.

0 # Sinnerman 2014-06-07 07:39

It is an absolute shame that so many people need someone else to lead for before they do anything. However I'm not quite so sure about this sentiment quoted above. Sure if everyone were to just act right now based off of the things going on that they dislike change would happen, but would that be for the best? I feel like acting without getting a sufficient amount of information regarding consequences is dangerous especially when taken to the larger scale like that. Say tomorrow the main populace decided they hated capitalism, and they decided to overthrow our government. If they succeeded they wouldn't really have a plan for what comes afterwards, and that leaves them exposed to having something worse take its place. Impulsive actions have their place but I hesitate to say that everything would be better if we acted without any knowledge of the situation.

0 # SecretSeaBridges 2014-06-07 20:00
Since we are all social beings we all have the need to feel "accepted". If people decide to do something out of the "social norm" then people will others would reject them in society. People are too afraid to help other's because they're too scared to take the lead. My parents have always told me to stand up for what I think is right, even if no one else is standing beside me. People should not wait for someone else to do the right thing, if they know what they should do that makes things right, they should just do it and not live in fear of what others think.

0 # Karla Garcia 2014-06-08 13:08
those who are unaware of how to act are afraid that those who do know are going to look down a upon them because they don't know of what to do and if they are doing it right. also the mainstream should be the leaders but many don't want to take that responsibility. also those who are unaware, how are they suppose to act on what they don't know?

0 # tiffany 2014-06-08 16:57
I agree with your comment. No one wants that responsibility. So if no one is willing to make the step nothing is going to change. Those who are unaware arent supposed to do anything and they really shouldnt.

0 # Michelle Ngo 2014-06-08 23:36
I agree with you. It is hard to lead when there is that insecurity that everyone will look down at you if you do something wrong. Insecurity is a problem for most people. No matter what we do, especially when we lead, we will be judged by others and criticized. What people do not know may or may not hurt them.

0 # tiffany 2014-06-08 16:54
I think people turn a blind eye towards what is important. Even though they know what is going on they still do not take any action because it does not matter enough. I feel like the only time people will take action is when something directly affects them. Until then, certain issues in our country and government do not make a difference to their lives. They may be wrong and need to be changed but if it takes stepping out of ones "comfort zone" it will not be done.

0 # Sinnerman 2014-06-08 19:15
If only every problem was so easily solved. The informed need to be the braves ones who actively seek to spread their knowledge and create change. While life may have been easier before knowing the horrors of society, now that we have be told the truth it is our responsibility to do something about. Regardless of how much fun complaining about the ignorant is, we can't just sit around laughing at them all day otherwise we all lose.

0 # mdAngel 2014-06-08 19:46
I agree with the fear of being heard and feeling pushed away, but we are only human. That is when we as individuals need to step up and say what we really feel. Our first reaction to things are usually the right ones.

0 # aplopez 2014-06-08 20:26
I understand that many people in this world believe some other people should be looked up to. However, I believe that the problem is not people, its the fact that many dont follow their instinct. Many conform to what others do. For example, when we are infants, we grow up in different environments. We have different mind sets, but many chose to follow what other do. I do agree with the fact that many people are scared but the only reason they maybe scared is because they dont want to get judged. So they feel like if the "better" people do it, then its okay. Which is wrong. Dont follow others, be your leader. Then again the problem is not truly solved and i dont think it will be solved because we live in a society where people will conform.

0 # Sarah Heitz 2014-06-08 21:20
"What the world needs now is for those who don’t know as much about what’s going on to act on what they don’t know." This right here is the answer to our problem of lack of knowledge. It is as simple as that, but how can this happen? How can people who don't know what they don't know, learn about what they don't know? Or even get them to realize there are things that they don't know and they should know. This is the real question.

0 # aplopez 2014-06-09 06:13
I agree with your statement. It is true, how CAN people learn? Without proper knowledge, any will definitely not understand what is going on. So where will they turn to, people that are aware.

0 # zzchi 2014-06-08 21:30
I agree with you aplopez. Most people feel that they should look up to others. That is what society has en-grained into each individual. One should look up to the political elite, so they do not question what they are doing. Instead, idolize them, swear their intentions are right, and allow them to make rules and laws that benefit them not us.
Throughout Dr. Loos' course, I have learned the atrocities of what the government is doing and what they are capable of doing. The deception and lies, for one, is a crude act on their people, but people look up to the political elite. In turn, this grants them access for deception. Unless we are trained to look beneath the surface, we do not see the truth.

0 # Agris 2014-06-08 22:55
This is true I never thought of it this way. When we are younger we are taught to create idols and choose the life path to gets us into their shoes one day. When do we stop following and start creating? Just like Dr. Loo said in class people are too eager to choose the path that has already been made but if one person finds the courage they can create new paths that others may be able to follow.

0 # mitchell denerson 2014-06-08 22:53
In a perfect world, yes, if everybody was a leader, not afraid to go against the grain, and we as a society didn't have social norms, and fear of being rejected, or cast out or even just looked at weird by others, then yes the world's problems would be solved. But we all know those changes aren't likely to happen.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-06-08 23:37
Your "perfect world" could not exist because what you're describing is a world in which there are no leaders at all. That would not ever happen because there will always be differences between peo in the form of things like someone in any group is going to be more advanced in their understanding of the situation and will be able to provide leadership. So it's not just a question of being unlikely to happen but as impossible. So then the question is what to do? See my latest article: An Alternative View on the Bystander Effect.

0 # deltoro 2014-06-09 04:14
"But we all know those changes aren't likely to happen." i think that changes can happen. we just need to be strong about our ideas of changing them. there are many people that are not affair of going against the social morns. this type of people also are strong to go against the system.

0 # Marisol Parra 2014-06-08 22:59
People tend to follow the social norm because many are afraid of stepping out or speaking out. Systems do make the individuals due to society. We tend to be afraid of speaking out because it may be a dumb answer or question. The problem is hard to solve when we are in a state of denial, but why then do we blame the people rather than the systems? Simple we agree with the system as our power of authority. Many have answered that we need to take lead and follow our true instincts in life.

0 # Luvlife1 2014-06-09 03:23
Yes indeed now that we have been informed we need the courage to make a difference, only if it was that easy. In thinking back at a situation I've been in and knowing that something needed to be done and not doing it was almost like an impairment feeling, wanting and actually doing was far apart. It's the system.

0 # Michelle Ngo 2014-06-08 23:31
I have heard of this phrase a lot, especially in the organization that I am in. People have their mind set on following those who takes initiative and do something first. The followers are aware that they should do something, but never take action unless someone else was doing it first. Instead of being the leaders that they should be, they are followers. There is a plus and downside to having those who do not know anything to lead. The upside is that they will have a clean mind set on the issues and find a way to lead it and be neutral at the same time. The downside is that they may not truly understand the issues since they do not know anything. People should lead as an example and not have others always lead.

0 # BBalty 2014-06-09 00:08
Dr. Loo since we are social creatures and we need social integration for our well-being could this be the reason most individuals who become aware fear telling the truth? Because people fear rejection and constantly want to be accepted, so they take the path with the least resistance?

0 # Christine Lopez 2014-06-09 00:28
The people who are not taking the lead first are not taking the lead because they are preparing themselves so they are more knowledgeable of that subject. People are not willing to step out of there comfort zone until they feel that they are well prepared so they can speak up. They do not want to seem uneducated or not prepared.

0 # Manuel Arias 2014-06-11 19:31
i agree with you, we tend to hold back and think twice before we say anything. we are afraid to be rejected or pointed at for not having the correct facts/informati on. i believe we all have some sort of leadership within us, we are to scare to show society and be afraid of the reaction we will get, and that is why we hold back.

0 # Shannon Barkley 2014-06-09 01:53
The title in itself is intriguing to me. When I read the title it made me think of the bystander effect, which is when people just watch, if something is happening, and do nothing, they just wait for someone else around to do something. With this article being about doing the right thing if someone else does, alludes to people just waiting for another person, or group, to act upon the changes first and then the rest will follow and/or want to act upon the changes.

0 # Sme 2014-06-09 03:31
I agree with the fact that most of people choices can be determined by fear and the fact that as we have discussed before, being left out or criticized by others is something we as humans are afraid of. We have to understand d that the problem is not “other people” but ourselves, if we want change to happen we need to start changing things ourselves.

0 # deltoro 2014-06-09 04:04
i think that people are scare to do the right thing. some of them do not know the true or just chose to ignore it. also, if you know the true, you are going to act difference about it little by little. this person will take the lead.

0 # Sherlock 2014-06-09 04:48
I feel like this post is very sarcastic right? I know that you would never say something like this. As a nation, we shouldn't wait for others to lead us. If we believe strongly that something should occur we should take the initiative and make it happen. If we need a change, we should come up with a plan to make it happen and then spread that knowledge and information. We should be our own leaders.

0 # Frank Sahagun 2014-06-10 10:04
It is only when you are in touch with yourself that all of these "fears" will completely go away. I have been highly encouraging people to really get to know themselves. Once that fear within you is gone you will speak and shine to the entire world without even having to say a single word.

0 # Flr9d 2014-06-10 19:10
I believe you can't change people the only person you can change is your self . And that's where the problem starts people start pointing the finger at other and wanting to change others but the only situation they can control is their own actions and that is where change can start. That way that one person can inspire others to step out of their comfort zone and begin to make a difference.

0 # thatdude 2014-06-10 19:30
The best example of this for myself is when a teacher asks a question open for anyone to respond and I'm positive I know the answer, yet something inside is fighting me telling me to not answer because just "what-if" I'm wrong. Even that little bit of doubt is enough to me to keep quiet in my seat and I know that I shouldn't care about what others think. Being in college I have gotten better at not caring about if I'm right or wrong but still a majority of the time I hesitate. This is just like everyday life when people have an opportunity to do the right thing first. Something inside tells them to wait for a few others to join in so that you can just be someone that says "i agree" which is a lot more comfortable than going out on a limb by yourself. If people were more worried about making the right decision than they were about what other's think or say about them then I feel that system would run way more effectively and have a greater impact towards the needs of this country

0 # James Dewey 2014-06-10 23:13
the way this article is writen, makes me belive that communication is the sole issue. Because those who dont know, dont know what they dont know. :lol: it sounds as if it would then fall on the shoulders of those who do know to inform those who dont know. the challenge is actually doing this since all of the major forms of communication and mass media are owned and operated by large corporations. IF the people who do know could communicate to those who dont know then the worlds problems would be fixed.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-06-10 23:27
Quoting James Dewey:
If the people who do know could communicate to those who don't know then the world's problems would be fixed.
If it were true that because the dominating classes or groups in any era monopolized communications and that this meant that no opposition to them could arise and spread, then there would never have been any revolutions. Even in this era, there are attempted revolutions in our lifetimes. To speak to your last question, it's not just a question of communication. Even if the more aware could readily communicate with the less aware, it wouldn't be as simple as you state it. Please see this for further on that matter: http://dennisloo.com/Articles/is-telling-people-the-truth-enough.html

0 # Manuel Arias 2014-06-11 18:57
"the problem is other people" we always tend to blame others for the actions people do or make, we see and ignore, doesn't that makes us the problem as well? we are choosing to look the other way or just ignore it since its not affecting our community/count ry. blaming others does not make it better or go away, it just reinforces the problem because we are not doing anything to change it.

0 # Manuel Arias 2014-06-11 19:25
"Awareness, you see, doesn't bring any greater responsibilitie s to those who are aware" i feel that is most of America. the big corporations taking advantage of other non developed countries, we hear about it, are aware of the conditions they are being treated, and yet we don't do anything about it. we feel as if we are not the owners/manufact urers so it makes it not our problem. they are the ones making those people suffer, and we just get the final product. the fact is we are contributing to the problem when we buy those products. we really need a revolution and it starts with us accepting there is a problem and joining forces and speaking out.

0 # Belinda Kil 2014-06-11 21:53
I agree that the mainstream should lead, and that those who don't know about what's going on to act on what they don't know. But at the same time I don't think that the very solution to the world's problems is mainstream to lead. I think that everyone and anyone who has power, influence and especially knowledge ( awareness) to do everything that they can no provide education ( or awareness) to the general public. This would include the government, celebrities, religious leaders, everyone in the education system.

0 # Belinda 2014-06-11 23:36
I agree with Draen's comment above as i feel that as social beings our desire for acceptance stifles us from doing what we know what's right and wrong. I feel that most people know the difference but are so used to growing up justifying their moral reasoning so much, they begin to believe in them even if their innate thought was the opposite. It's clearly shown in history. Just look at our slave history. As people we don't define an emotion with color but we learned to, by following the leaders of the time. and then we found racism.

0 # Belinda 2014-06-11 23:39
From my understanding of the way society works and has been working, humans tend to follow the mass popular culture. Do you think that it would be ever possible to change that? I mean IF we could, wouldn't the world be chaotic? how can you peacefully live in a society where there are so many different opinions even some that are the extreme polar opposite from yours? Can we learn to have that much level of respect for other's opinions? Or is it just a matter of freeing the world from ignorance

0 # FAVELA001 2014-06-12 04:08
@Belinda
Of course it would be possible to change this, and no it would not be chaotic. We can learn to have a respect for others opinions. The solution to this is education because education not only examines the faults in the world it works towards finding solutions for these faults. One does not come to a realization fault without opinions. Opinions ultimately are what shape solutions, and taking into account several opinions leads to finding viable solutions. Following the masses ultimately started with conflicting opinions in society. Martin Luther King did not make the advances he did for civil rights by not respecting others opinions. He respected others opinions and then formulated his own more viable opinions. The same can be said for any major movement in history. Leaders do not have to be right they just have to be charismatic in expressing their opinions to gain a following.

0 # marcos1 2014-06-11 23:42
What I'm understanding is,

"Take a first step. It doesn't matter how big or small the step is but take the first step."

The hardest part of something seems to be starting. Once you buy the ticket (start) you just take the ride.

Elaine Brower 2

Elaine Brower of World Can't Wait speaking at the NYC Stop the War on Iran rally 2/4/12