Articles

Drones and Dirty Wars: Prelude to Drone Days of Action 2014

1185724 10152048965233214 711554054 n-1

Drones and Dirty Wars: Prelude to Drone Days of Action 2014

Wednesday April 2, 2014, 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm EDT (4 - 5:30 pm PDT)

Community Church 40 E. 35th Street, NYC

link for the ustream is here:

A live program & international webcast in support of the Spring Days of Action – 2014, a coordinated campaign in April and May to End Drone Killing, Drone Surveillance and Global Militarization

Featuring:

Madiha Tahir, film maker, Wounds of Waziristan An independent journalist reporting on conflict, culture and politics in Pakistan, she has followed the U.S. drone attacks there for years.

Maria LaHood, Senior Staff Attorney, Center for Constitutional Rights who specializes in international human rights litigation, seeking to hold government officials and orporations accountable for torture, extrajudicial killings, and war crimes abroad.

Carl Dix, Vietnam War resister & Revolutionary Communist Party. A leader of protests against police brutality, stop-and-frisk, & founder, with Cornel West, of the Stop Mass Incarceration Network.

With information from the Granny Peace Brigade, kNOwdrones and World Can't Wait on what you can do to in your schools & communities to create a political situation where the U.S. is forced to back off from using targeted killing in our name, and from using drones for surveillance by police, the FBI, the National Security Agency and other government agencies.

Sponsored by kNOwdrones & World Can't Wait, Action for Justice Committee / The Community Church of New York Unitarian Universalist

link for the ustream is here

More info: 866 973 4463 kNOwdrones.org / worldcantwait.net

Comments

0 # marcam 2014-04-04 21:57
I believe that something should be made done to stop drone attacks in other countries. One reason why I think it should stop is because they kill many innocent people that don’t have anything to do with the war. The drone just flies over “enemy territory” and drops bombs and kills everyone in the location, not caring if there are children and innocent civilians. I also believe that something should be done to stop the stop-and–frisk because it only targets certain races. If it was random searches it would be fine; for example, stopping every thirtieth person seen I think would be fine because the color of the person wouldn’t matter. Also if it was done in all cities I would be fine. The problem is that the stop-and-frisk is only done in inner cities and only targets certain groups.

0 # jnc 2014-04-05 16:45
I personally know someone who works with the operating and flying of drones in the Air Force and although I think it is a fascinating piece of technology, I believe it is very wrong. I asked him to describe what it's like flying these unmanned aerial vehicles and he compared it to a video game. "You sit in a room with monitors everywhere. You have the joy stick in your and then your plane takes off. In no time your viewing the grounds below." When I asked this person if he has ever killed someone with this aircraft he said "That cannot be told, but like I said it's like a game. I can shoot all I want and use all my weapons. When I'm done, I'm done. I put the joy stick down and walk away, I can never die, thats the beauty of it." These comments show just how the drones alone have changed the value of human life towards other people. Those in operations of the aircraft devalue the lives of the innocent and helpless and only see their lives as having importance in this world.

0 # Jessica Ulloa 2014-04-06 02:37
I completely agree that some individuals who work in lines such as the Air Force or any work that has to do with some violence may devalue others lives. Do you feel that the individual who works in the Air force feels it is easier to handle what it is they do for a living by treating it as a 'game?' Or do you feel that they have become so desensitized to the entire situation it isn't a person they are killing it is just a game?
I wonder if those whose work consists of possibly taking a persons life, even stop to think about what they do..

0 # CamouflagedWife 2014-04-06 16:02
Violence to people in the military comes from survival and training. I definitely agree with you Jessica and jnc that these men have in most cases no choice but to make it some kind of game so that when they come home or assimilate into society outside the military that things like PTSD or even suicide don't get to them. My husband is in the Marines and i've spent some long conversations with him and his friends about things they had to do to survive and because they were ordered to, it comes at a price, but sometimes i think it's seen in the "kill or be killed" perspective. Drones have changed the value of human life, yes, but it also has shaped the thinking of men/women shoot them. When it comes to that way, it's hard to side with oneself if they knowingly have a conscious about the people they are fighting against. Now stuck...We don't know the truth, people are killing and dying left and right, and technology is allowing for more separation from humanity...How dare we..

0 # jnc 2014-04-06 21:29
I don't believe thinking of it as a game is how he copes with it. I think by saying it is like a game is just how he compares it so other people can understand how these aircrafts work. However I believe that since he makes it sound so childish and innocent, he is encouraging the devaluing of life on the other human beings who are the targets. I believe he has become desensitized to others lives completely due to the drones. Not saying this is every drone operator, but I am saying that because these machines are operated with no man inside, it makes the the operators feel like they have this sense of power and control over the lives of those in the countries that they are surveying.

0 # martha n. 2014-04-07 02:07
As much as I hate to admit it, I really don't know much about drones or how they are used in war settings. I wonder I haven't heard of a greater public outcry to end the usage of drones. I don't get why this isn't viewed more harshly. In the Durkheim article he points out "...things are criminal because it shocks the conscience collective." The longer we allow ourselves to be kept in the dark the easier it is to be blinded by the wrong (criminality) of using drones to kill. It's not shocking because we don't know about it. It's not shocking but it seems this method of killing now the conscience collective. I myself find it difficult to find this method entirely wrong because I think of all the U.S. soldiers that are safer because of this technology, yet I think of the dangerous disregard for life because of this exact technology.

0 # Thatdude 2014-04-06 17:18
Regarding drone attacks in other countries, I feel that although it puts none of our soldiers in danger, it creates a sense of ease and comfort ability in the process of taking others lives. Yes, keeping our troops out of harms way is great, however we cannot stand for a tactic that causes our soldiers(or whoever is flying the drone) to devalue the lives of others, especially the innocent that could fall victim to drone attacks in the area. Flying a drone with a joystick over enemy territory and dropping bombs as opposed to being on the battle field and actually pulling a trigger puts distance between the killing, both physically and mentally. The more distance put between a person and the act of killing another individual makes the decision of going through with it that much easier. We must keep the lives of the innocent held above the act of taking out our enemies and only use these drone attacks in specialized situations when absolutely necessary.

0 # Catman 2014-04-06 22:47
I agree that distance helps devalue someones life but I think in war, all lives have been devalued no matter what. When a solider is in a fire fight, its all about being selfish and that soldier shouldn't care about the enemies life because if he did he could die himself. Soldiers have to create a distance between life and death because if they cared about everyone's lives and families then it will leave them vulnerable to get killed easier. I will pick the option of sending in a drone and getting that blow up instead of Americans with families even if there is a possibility that innocent people will die.

0 # flr9d 2014-04-07 01:04
The picture at the top sends a strong message.These drones are killing innocent people, like a child's family. In class it was talked about life chances, drone killings are taking away life chances away from a child. We as Americans need to be more responsible with the human life.

0 # guy 2014-04-07 06:48
Drones in a way is a great improvement of technology where it can multitask better than a single man. Drone strikes killing innocent people are one of the flaws in drones but it has the potential to save soldiers' lives. War isn't something without casualty. It is in our best interest to keep casualties low on our side. Who are we to blame our military to try and keep that number low. With many great things there are going to be bad intentions.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-04-07 14:21
Quoting guy:

The more important question is why the US is killing thousands, mostly innocents, including hundreds of children, in countries like Pakistan where by doing so, we are violating int'l laws that prohibit countries killing people in places where we are not at war. It's not a question of minimizing US soldiers' deaths, it's a question of the illegitimacy of drones themselves to kill people who are not threatening us.

0 # Guy 2014-04-13 23:07
I think the military puts too much emphasis on acquiring targets and terminating them. The collateral damage they do most likely outweighs the target but the military seems to look at it the opposite way if they keep continuing killing innocent people in the process of eliminating their targets. The lack of mainstream media seems to portray the killings as not such a big deal, instead the media focuses on useless knowledge. The distance they put between the population and the knowledge of these killings makes the population less worry about problems overseas. It is unlikely that the average American have enough time in their lives to have to search for these news if it is not readily available.