Sometimes asking for the impossible is the only realistic path.

DennisLoo.com Banner

Dear Readers: About Building Communities

Dear Readers: About Building Communities

By The Editors (1/22/14)

This site draws substantial traffic and we very much appreciate that fact. For some reason, however, very few individuals choose to leave comments. As we say in our comments section, "we find truth via contention." If you're devoted to the pursuit of truth and want to see it prevail, then posting comments and engaging in the lively back and forth that could happen here would contribute to that endeavor.

When so very much of what passes for the public discourse today involves active efforts to mislead and deflect from the truth, and where immoral and unscientific arguments and policies characterize so much of public policy, imperiling the very fate of the planet, forming a community of people who regularly leave comments and engage in conversation with one another is something that could serve as a rallying point for everyone who wants a different present and radically different future. If you look at the comments section at The New York Times, for example, you will find a lot of very well-informed and thoughtful people who frequently leave interesting and illuminating comments, but the center of gravity of most of those discussions inevitably revolves around the parameters of the NYT articles themselves, limiting how deeply and comprehensively the collective discussion can be.

We would like this site's comments sections to be alive with discussion and debate. The goal of our site is to probe all of the numerous arenas of life - politics, science, economics, sports, art, movies, literature, music, and so on - and to push at the envelope of people's imaginations and courage, to collectively pool what we can each bring to the table and raise ourselves and the society up through that process. As with all other things, even as small a number as one individual who chooses to step forward and set an example helps to bring into being what would otherwise remain an unrealized and untapped reservoir of ideas, experience, enthusiasm, and spirit. If you find that you benefit from reading the articles posted here, then think how much better it would be if you directly joined into conversation with the authors and other readers here. Think what a great salon we could create! Whether people answer this call sooner or later, eventually it will happen and a thriving community of regulars plus irregulars will come into being; but think how much better it would be if it began now rather than somewhere down the road. Why wait? The world is dying for something far better than what passes for the status quo. Whatever your level of knowledge and experience, even if you are a complete novice, if you have the attitude of wanting to learn and contributing to the collective pursuit of knowledge, then do speak up! You'll be glad you did, as will everyone else.

Comments

0 # sintricity08 2014-02-04 09:59
Upon reading Durkheim and Weber, I would agree to much extent the notion that Weber brings up stating that political institutions seek to build upon the interests and wants of the elite in society. It is these same elites that invoke upon society the laws and regulations that they deem acceptable. All of which contribute to a less informed and less aware public, that cannot seek to change what they do not understand. What I'm getting at here is the corrosive effects of what capitalism has relinquished upon society. In my ideal society, I would look upon an acceptable communist form of government that materialistic needs are no longer desired. Capitalism (all of us currently living in America) is the root of all evil and it needs to change before society can better as a whole. I have plenty of examples as to ways in which this society can operate in and in which promote a better and enriched sense of being. Social solidarity would certainly be a tangible aspect of this switch in gov.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-02-05 03:45
What ideas do you have about how to help broader #s of people be more informed and aware since I agree that this is a huge obstacle that we need to figure out how to overcome? More people engaging thru comments and conversation and reading this site and other places that help uncover a) what's actually happening, and b) why, are needed...

0 # sintricity08 2014-02-09 07:50
A suggestion to promote greater insight to the problem would be to perhaps hold more conferences for students on matters such as GTMO and the president's kill list. Get prominent figures, such as Russell Brand, to back and support events that spark insight for so many individuals who know more about celebrities than what their government is doing. Create flyers to help promote sights like this one, and hand them out throughout campus. Encourage students to have they're friends, family, co-workers to visit this website or websites like this so that they can read events/issues that make them want to delve deeper into what is fact/fallacy/co ver up. I'm sure they're are more and better ways of reaching out but these are just some of which I am able to ponder up.

0 # Dennis Loo 2014-02-11 04:38
Let's talk about your ideas and participation in person.

0 # sintricity08 2014-02-16 18:27
when would you like me to come by?

0 # TW Jackson 2014-03-05 16:40
Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot
about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.

I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
A great read. I'll definitely be back.

0 # Crystal 2014-03-09 07:47
I honestly believe this is a good and effective way on not only informing people what is going on society today but giving people a different perspective on learning. Majority of students in society today are use to the standard text book lecture and exams. When do you ever hear your teacher talking about "real life" issues today. Throughout all of my school years I can not recall any of my teachers or professors discuss and have a depth conversation with their students based on the problems that society is facing today until I enrolled in Dr. Loo is class. Not only has his class gave me so much knowledge but it has opened up my eyes to see what the world is facing and how those in power react to certain situations.

0 # website traffic 2014-04-09 07:16
Hi, this weekend is good in favor of me, since this time i am reading this enormous educational post here at my house.

0 # thousands of 2014-05-27 06:09
If some one wishes to be updated with latest technologies afterward he must be visit this website and be up
to date everyday.

0 # http://www.jazz- 2014-05-27 07:38
I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i'm glad
reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The site style is wonderful, the
articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Elaine Brower 2

Elaine Brower of World Can't Wait speaking at the NYC Stop the War on Iran rally 2/4/12